Monday, 31 December 2012

Now for something less stressful? Part II

After the long period of time sorting out in the boat. It was time to get the outside of the hull in a condition to look like it was when it was new. This was going to take a long time and a great deal of patience. This time was going to take the best part of 3 or 4 months over a period of a couple of years when it was fitted in around of work I was doing on other people's boats and when the weather was good to do outside. The first to do was to clean out the old caulking in the seams from the deck to the keel. This was a very mind deading jobs racking out the seams with a old racking tool with out destroying the edges of the seams. It is amazing how long a 22 foot boat becomes when you have to clean out that many seams. But at least when it was finally done and the seams were cleaned of all the old caulking and linseed putty it was a job well done. Then there were a few planks that needed refastening where they had moved over the years and where ribs had broken and needed replacing, before recaulking the seams after they had been primered with underwater primer. The problem area was the garboard planks as these needed refastening the most as the ribs in the bottom of the boat had broken over the hog and had to be replaced from the mast step right back to where the inboard engine used to be. So out came the stream box and a fun few hours streaming and nailing in new ribs in, was to keep my wife and I busy has one pull them from the stream box while the other drilled the holes and nailed them in place. We make a great team and the job was done in quick time.

Then my wife said that she would like to try her hand at caulking the seams with caulking cotton. this she did after I sorted out the caulking cotton and showed her how to do it. She said in was relaxing after the stressful work she does and having done a great deal of it over the past 30+years I was only to happy for her to do it.

However she did not like the next bit as much, painting the seams and then getting the linseed putty out of the tubs and working it into the seam. She said I done my bit it now time for you to get your hands dirty. So there I was seating on a stool with putty knife in one hand and the putty in the other and a long way to go to fill all the seams up again. I sometimes think why to I own a wooden boat?
But when all is said and done they give you hours of fun both on and off the water.

Once that job was done, then it was left a while so the the putty would skin over before starting to paint the boat again and get the hull looking like new again which was going to take sometime.

Saturday, 29 December 2012

Now to something less stressful, well may be?

Now that the major job of the Keel removal and refitting was done. Then it was time to start on other more skillful jobs that did not involve a big hammer & Burt force. Fittings the Toe rails and Rubbing skates was a more enjoyable job as it was one that people would see. Unlike the keel although it was a skillful job not many people would see how much hard work when into doing the job. The amount of blood sweat and tears that when into doing it.

It was also the time that the deck fittings were made and fitted to the boat, as all these fittings had been stripped off the boat before I purchased her and started to rebuild her back to a sailing boat once more. This needed a trip to Classic Marine in Woodbridge in Suffolk. As many of the fittings had to be specially made for the boat. Moray did a very good job of these fittings and have serviced me well ever since. As well as the toe rails and Rubbing Skates and hull fittings for the rigging, there had to be a new tableance made to fit the odd sized mast the boat had. So with that made it was time to fit all this new iron work to the boat and to make it look more like a sailing yacht once more.

That job done I started again on the interior and the fitting of  the battery box and water tank and the shelf's in the galley and the water pump and cooker.

The new marine plywood floor was fitted in the cabin so it was safer to walk around down below with out breaking your leg.

Then came the fitting of a new sea Toilet. The toilet bit was easy, going a new hose nipple was not so easy as I had to have one specially manufacture by a local engineering company to fit the original skin fitting.

Then was time to finish off painting inside and out.   When the weather was not so good to do the outside paint work, then it was time to paint out the lockers and bilges  and keep warm and dry.

Then when the weather was better then it was time to get the big mother sander out on the hull to start to fair up the planking. This was a long job as it had not done for many a year. Once it was done it looked a whole deal better. Then came the long job of putting paint on and sanding it off until I got the hull painted. Then came the varnish work on the cabin sides, toe rails and rubbing skates, 6 coats to start off with until the wood stop soaking it up, then just building up the depth of varnish until there was a good overall coating on the bright work.