Monday, 20 August 2012

The long journey to restore Mai-Star II Part II

After the first year of restoring Mai-Star II, there was a laid off for a few months while other work had to be done for other clients and Mai-Star II took a back seat. Then when the spring came and weather improved and the longer days were here, I was able to fit a few hours in around my other work. The first job was to removed what was left of the old deck. Check the deck beams, Carlin's & the gunwales and the top of the top planks for any damage or rot. Surprising there was no rot in any of the major parts, this was a blessing as I was not looking forward to removing any of the major parts as this would put the project beyond reason in terms of making good sense to restore.

Having passed that major problem and not having to renew any of the major parts, I started about refitting the year and making the boat watertight from above. Unlike before this new deck would be a lot lighter and less likely to leak than the old one, as this was made from 5inch by 1 inch T&G softwood. The new deck is 12mm marine plywood and scarf jointed together so it would be one complete deck without any joints that could leak and cause water to get into the lamimates of the plywood. this was glued and screwed to the deck beams and carlins and gunwales as welll as the deck so making a watertight seal from above.

Once that was in place then the whole of the deck was sanded and keyed up to be cover with deck  matting and which was fixed in place by coating it with epoxy resin and sealing the plywood.
Then this was covered with deck paint to seal the epoxy from the weather.



Then I turn my attention to the inside and started to paint out the inside of the boat first with International Primicon primer. the boat had three coats of this and then three coats of undercoat before finailly have three coats of white gloss to finish off.
 




Next job was to start fitting out the interior with new bulkheads and the rest of the bits needed to make it a yacht again.

Wednesday, 8 August 2012

The long journey to restore Mai-Star II the 8 year journey

It all started with a trawl through the Internet on eBay as I was looking for something to restore over the next few months or a year or so. There she was looking very down at heel and in need of a guiding hand to bring her back from the edge of extinction.

But she was just what I was looking for a gaff rigged boat of the 1930's and was completely stripped out ready for a new interior to go in along the lines of the original with a couple of modern items.
The owner who I brought it off had started to do some work but it had got too much for him to do on his budget. So he put on eBay and I got it. First job was to get it out of his back garden and back to the boatyard where I was working at the time. This was no easy job as when had to pick the boat, cradle, its mast on to a double axle trailer with just a lorry jack and blocks to raise the boat up to the height of the trailer. This took what like an age but after a few cuppa's and a lot of pushing and pulling it was finally on the trailer and we were off to the boatyard to start the long journey back to becoming a sailing boat again

The picture above is photo of it after I had just given it a coat of yacht primer to keep the weather out of the planking while I sorted out the deck and got her weatherproof from above.

Although her deck was in a poor side, her deck beams and Carlin's and gunwales were in good condition given they had been exposed to the weather for a long while. So in the end it became just a matter of removing what was left of the old deck and laying a new marine plywood deck and sealing it with cloth and resin and then sealing it with deck paint.
Before that was done. I build a cover over it while it was outside in the boatyard so that I could get on with some of the other jobs inside the boat. The stripping back of the old paint left on the hull removing any bit of old chain and other bits and pieces.




These photos show the condition of the inside of the boat when I got it back to the boatyard and the long process it was going to be bring it back to anything like a sailing boat again. There was the challenge so my wife & I set about ring it back to life.

Two photos below show the condition of the back of the boat in its stripped out condtion and before any paint or work was carried out  on putting the cocpit back together again.